Preheat oven to 350°
1. In a medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, and vanilla.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingrediens and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend.
3. Add the butter and half the egg mixture.
4. Mix on low speed to moisten the dry ingredients.
5. Increase to medium speed and beat for 1 minute to develop the structure of the cake.
6. Gradually add the remaining egg mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
7. Scrape the bater into a prepared 8 inch by 4 inch pan (very important to use the correct sized pan!).
Bake for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cover loosely with buttered foil after 30 minutes to prevent over browning.
Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then invert it onto the rack, taking care to reinvert so that the top is up.
*Adapted from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum