My Favorite Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
One of my favorite things about fall is all the baking and entertaining I get to do. During the fall season I usually like to bake things like pumpkin bread and apple pie. However one of my family’s favorite treats that they are always asking me to make are banana cupcakes. These are great for fall, but you can really enjoy them year round. And baking up a big batch is perfect for entertaining. What I love about this recipe is that it is easy to make, and it is moist and is full of banana flavor! And cream cheese frosting is the perfect tangy complement to these cupcakes. Around here these definitely do not last long…
This recipe has just a few simple key ingredients: Flour, sugar, canola oil, bananas, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. You can exchange oil for butter, but I prefer using oil for a moist crumb. And the addition of sour cream and buttermilk gives these cupcakes a superb taste that is packed with flavor.
I start by combining all my dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and spices) in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients – eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, sour cream, oil and brown/white sugars. Once you combine everything in the two separate bowls, mix together. You can use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. For ease of of use, I prefer to use my hand mixer.
You want to use overripe bananas for this recipe. If you don’t have overripe bananas, you can bake unpeeled bananas in a 350 degree oven until they start to turn black. I like to mash them with a fork so you get nice chunks of banana in each bite of your cupcake!
As I said before, the cream cheese frosting gives the right amount of tangy sweetness to complement these cupcakes. My kids love to eat the frosting right off the cupcake before diving into the rest of their treat!
So if you need to make treats for work or for a party, these moist and delicious cupcakes will definitely be a hit!
Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 8 oz full-fat cream cheese
- 3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12 cup and a 6 cup muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or a hand mixer) blend together the oil and sugars. Then add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and buttermilk. Then slowly blend in the dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated (don't over-blend). Finally add bananas and blend together with a spatula.
- For more flavor consider adding 1/2 cup chocolate chips or walnuts to the batter.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners – make sure to fill only 2/3 full to avoid spilling over the sides. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a large bowl using a hand mixer or with a stand mixer beat the butter and sour cream together until creamy. Slowly add the flour and blend until completely mixed. Then add vanilla and blend again.
- You can frost these cupcakes however you would like to. However I prefer to pipe my cupcakakes. For the cupcakes picture here I used the Aetco 808 large round tip.
I hope you enjoyed todays banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting recipe. If you decide to make it, I’d love to hear in the comments!
As always, thanks for stopping by!
xo | April
Follow The Blue Hydrangeas on:affiliate links.